Monday, July 22, 2013

3 SIGNS OF MENTAL LAZINESS



PHYSICAL laziness has a lot of repercussions but have you ever stopped to consider the suicidal implications of mental laziness? In the Bible, Proverbs 12:27 tells us the difference between physical laziness and mental laziness. The New International Version renders this verse as “The lazy do not roast any game but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.” Hunting is a very engaging activity. It involves going into the bush for several days, running after animals, protecting oneself against predators while perspiring. Yet if you do all that and succeed in catching game but do not roast your booty, the Bible calls you a lazy person.

On the other hand, the person who is able to process and enjoy the benefits of the hunt is labelled diligent. No matter how hard you work to get something, you are lazy if you stop midway. This kind of laziness is mental laziness. It is when you give up because you are tired or you feel you have done enough. Mental laziness is when you stop pushing through because something is not easy.


Let’s look at three signs of mental laziness.


1. REFUSING TO THINK

Henry Ford (1863-1947), the industrialist who founded the Ford Motor Company posited that “Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.” Although thinking does not require permission or payment, many people find it hard to think. And because it is considered hard, many people do not engage in it. But for people who are not lazy, thinking is a tool for creating their own world, explaining the enigmas of their lives and confronting the perplexities that frustrate them.

Lazy people refuse to break the barrier to thinking. They send their minds on vacation. For any area of your life where your mind is on vacation, you will not be able to exercise dominion in that area. Thinking is an original activity. It is something you train yourself to do. Thinkers lead the world.


     2. HIDING BEHIND GOD
MENTAL laziness is when a person who has been duly elected by citizens as head of state declares that “God is the president of this country.” Mental laziness is when an unemployed graduate who has not taken time to learn how to present a resumé or conduct oneself at an interview hops across several prayer camps trusting that God will intervene. Mental laziness is when an entrepreneur who has not learnt the art of reinvesting their earnings into their business regularly fasts and attends prayer meetings to seek growth in their business.

Very often, when we have to rise to the occasion, we go to sleep and “leave things in the hands of God” sending our minds on vacation. But the fact of the matter is that if you don’t train your mind, you cannot experience God’s goodness. During the period of Jesus’ earthly ministry, everything He preached was premised on the admonition that we should “repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matthew 4:17, NKJV). In clearer terms, Jesus meant that God’s favour, goodness and salvation are within our reach but to benefit fully, we must radically change the way we think.

If you are mentally lazy, no amount of divine intervention will catapult you to the next level of your life. Yes, divine intervention is crucial but it does not replace hard work and smart thinking. Prayer is good but if you really want to transform your life, you must engage your mind. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Don’t be lazy. Think. Think. Think.

     3. MAKING EXCUSES
“THE lazy person claims, ‘There’s a lion on the road! Yes, I’m sure there’s a lion out there!’” (Proverbs 26:13, NLT). This biblical image presents the image of a person who needs to step out of their comfort zone to get something done. Then they imagine that if they get out there, something will go wrong so they won’t go. It’s like an athlete who says that “If I go to the field to train, I could be inflicted with injury so I’ll stay home and watch TV.” Such suppositions are mere excuses. Excuses are false justifications for doing what we want to do or for not doing what we ought to do.

Sometimes, instead of taking time to thoughtfully ponder over a matter, we invent a reason and lay the matter aside. Some of the lines we use to give excuses are “It’s not my job,” “This is difficult, I can’t do it,” “This has never been done before,” “It will not work,” “This is how it’s always been done,” and “There is no other option.” If you find yourself giving these reasons for doing or not doing certain things, then you have some traits of laziness.



YOU are what you think. Don’t be mentally lazy. If you like the current condition of your life, keep thinking. If you don’t like where you are, start thinking. By all means, trust God but think smart too. Don’t surrender to obstacles. Don’t bow to excuses. Think through. Exercise your mind.




© 2013 Terry Mante

CEO, Personal Development Network (PEDNET)
Accra, Ghana
 

16 comments:

  1. i have a question. can u say if you're mentally lazy if u just don't like a particular subject and just give up in that area? let's say u come to so many difficulties in the subject, you just say, well this is way too hard for me. and to be fair, this is just one subject that i dislike bcz all others i think properly and actually think but i dn't know how to put my mind of something i dislike but i have to do? i guess i am being lazy and unmotivated? but do u think i am lazy? by definition, am i?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nayasha, that kind of situation doesn't necessarily mean you are lazy. However, if the subject is critical for where you ultimately desire to be, then you must challenge yourself to meet at least the minimum requirement. Kindly use the link below to read another article which would throw some light on this.

      http://terrymante.blogspot.com/2012/07/inside-out-how-to-discover-yourself.html

      Delete
  2. hey this has been very helpful to me can you tell me how mental laziness affects self esteem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self-esteem emanates from how you think about yourself. So yes, mental laziness affects self-esteem.

      Delete
  3. This is so true and applicable all around me. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real eye opener. Many however live in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post. Thinking really is hard work and most people don't think about where they want to be in life let alone how to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure the following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Shingles 16. psoriasis,Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 Autism. 19.. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me some time to accept I was just being lazy. I thought something else was wrong

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow thank you for this. I break free from mental laziness

    ReplyDelete
  9. I USED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE FOR 2 WEEKS AND NOW I AM TOTALLY CURED FROM HERPES, LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN, CONTACT HIM VIA EMAIL..Robinsonbuckler11@gmail. com...........................

    ReplyDelete